Tuesday, June 21, 2005

i just absolutly love it.



: A Black American ……

: I love being Black. I love being called Black. I love being an American.
: I love being a Black American, but as a Black man in this country I think it’s a shame
: That every few years we get a change of name.

: Since those first ships arrived here from Africa that came across the sea
: There were already Black men in this country who were free.
: And as for those that came over here on those terrible boats,
: They were called nigga and slave
: And told what to do, and how to behave.

: And then master started trippin’ and doing his midnight tippin’,
: Down to the slave shacks where he forced he and Great-Great Grandma to be together,
: And if Great-Great Grandpa protested, he got tarred and feathered.

:
: And at the same time, the Black men in the country who were free,
: Were mating with the tribes like the Apache and the Cherokee.
: And as a result of all that, we’re a parade of every shade.
: And as in this late day and age, you can be sure,
: They ain’t too many of us in this country whose bloodline is pure.

:
: But, according to a geological, geographical, genealogy study published in Time Magazine,
: The Black African people were the first on the scene,
: So for what it’s worth, the Black African people were the first on earth
: And through migration, our characteristics started to change, and rearrange,
: To adapt to whatever climate we migrated to.
: And that’s how I became me, and you became you.

: So, if we gonna go back, let’s go all the way back,
: And if Adam was Black and Eve was Black,
: Then that kind of makes it a natural fact that everybody in America is an African American.

: Everybody in Europe is an African European; everybody in the Orient is an African Asian
: And so on and so on,
: That is, if the origin of man is what we’re gonna go on.
: And if one drop of Black blood makes you Black like they say,
: Then everybody’s Black anyway.

: So quit trying to change my identity.
: I’m already who I was meant to be
: I’m a Black American, born and raised.
: And brother James Brown wrote a wonderful phrase,
: “Say it loud, I’m Black and I’m proud! Say it loud, I’m Black and I’m proud!”


: Cause I’m proud to be Black and I ain’t never lived in Africa,
: And ‘cause my Great-Great Granddaddy on my Daddy’s side did, don’t mean I want to go back. (lol)
: Now I have nothing against Africa,
: It’s where some of the most beautiful places and people in the world are found.
: But I’ve been blessed to go a lot of places in this world,
: And if you ask me where I choose to live, I pick America, hands down.

: Now, by and by, we were called Negroes, and after while, that name has vanished.
: Anyway, Negro is just how you say “black” in Spanish.
: Then, we were called colored, but shit, everybody’s one color or another,
: And I think it’s a shame that we hold that against each other.

: And it seems like we reverted back to a time when being called Black was an insult,
: Even if it was another Black man who said it, a fight would result,
: Cause we’ve been so brainwashed that Black was wrong,
: So that even the yellow niggahs and black niggahs couldn’t get along.

: But then, came the 1960s when we struggled and died to be called equal and Black,
: And we walked with pride with our heads held high and our shoulders pushed back,
: And Black was beautiful.

: But, I guess that wasn’t good enough,
: Cause now here they come with some other stuff.
: Who comes up with this shit anyway?
: Was it one, or a group of niggahs sitting around one day?

: Feelin’ a little insecure again about being called Black
: And decided that African American sounded a little more exotic.
: Well, I think you were being a little more neurotic.

: It’s that same mentality that got “Amos and Andy” put off the air,
: Cause’ they were embarrassed about the way the character’s spoke.
: And as a result of that action, a lot of wonderful Black actors ended up broke.
: When we were just laughin’ and have fun about ourselves.
: So I say, “Fuck you if you can’t take a joke.”
: You didn’t see the “Beverly Hillbilly’s” being protested by white folks.

: And if you think, that cause you think that being called African American set all Black people’s mind at ease…..

: Since we affectionately call each other “niggah”,

: I affectionately say to you, “Niggah Please”. (LOL)

: How come I didn’t get the chance to vote on who I’d like to be?
: Who gave you the right to make that decision for me?
: I ain’t under your rule or in your dominion
: And I am entitled to my own opinion.

:
: Now there are some African Americans here,
: But they recently moved here from places like Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Zaire.
: But, now the brother who’s family has lived in the country for generations,
: Occupying space in all the locations
: New York, Miami, L.A., Detroit, Chicago-
: Even if he’s wearing a dashiki and sporting an afro.

: And, if you go to Africa in search of your race,
: You’ll find out quick you’re not an African American,
: You’re just a Black American in Africa... takin’ up space.

: Why you keep trying to attach yourself to a continent,
: Where if you got the chance and you went,
: Most people there wouldn't even claim you as one of them; as a pure bread daughter or son of them.
: Your heritage is right here now, no matter what you call yourself or what you say
: And a lot of people died to make it that way.
: And if you think America is a leader on inequality and suffering and grievin’
: How come there so many people comin’ and so few leavin’?.

(eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!........ tell em Smokey. haha)


: Rather than all this ‘find fault with America’ shit you promotin’,
: If you want to change something, use your privilege, get to the polls!
: Commence to votin’!

: God knows we’ve earned the right to be called American Americans and be free at last.
: And rather than you movin’ forward progress, you dwelling in the past.
: We’ve struggled too long; we’ve come too far.
: Instead of focusing on who we were, let’s be proud of who we are.

: We are the only people whose name is always a trend.
: When is this shit gonna end?
: Look at all the different colors of our skin-
: Black is not our color. It’s our core.
: It’s what we been livin’ and fightin’ and dyin’ for.

: But if you choose to be called African American and that’s your preference
: Then I ‘ll give you that reference

: But I know on this issue I don’t stand alone on my own and if I do, then let me be me
: And I’d appreciate it if when you see me, you’d say, “there goes a man who says it loud I’m Black. I’m Black. I’m a Black American, and I’m proud

: Cause I love being an American. And I love being Black. I love being called Black.

: Yeah, I said it, and I don’t take it back.

: Smokey Robinson
: Def Poets, 3rd Season
: May 16, 2003

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home